A NOTE FROM PASTOR HERB:
Psalm 119:105 says, “Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.” Psalm 1 describes the “blessed man” as one whose, “delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.”
I have been personally blessed by the experience of memorizing Scripture. To have Scripture verses memorized is to have a wonderful, accessible source of encouragement and power from God.
Because I personally have difficulty memorizing, I have found that it is much easier through the use of associations. The “ABC Method” of memorizing Scripture uses the well-tested association of the sequential order of the letters of the alphabet as an aid to memorization. Although the verses will usually begin with a letter in alphabetical order, sometimes just a key word in alphabetical order will be used. Additionally each of the four sets of ABC verses is associated with a major theme in Scripture.
A commentary on the meaning of the verse and a prayer applying that verse will be included to all for better understanding and application.
Each person may have their own method of memorization but I have found the following methods useful.
- Read the verse out loud several times and then try to say it out loud from memory.
- Write the verse on paper over and over again.
- Write the verse on a file card with the letter and reference on the opposite side. Test yourself.
- Put the card in your Bible or devotional reading and review.
- Test yourself just before going to sleep at night.
I pray that you will find the verses in the weeks ahead to be a great encouragement to your faith and give you joy in your walk with God.
God bless you,